Fresh escarole and arugula bring a mildly bitter and peppery taste to this salad. Castelfranco, Treviso or Radicchio are added along with shaved fennel and red onion. Sprinkle on Scarpone’s lentils, Rio Mare Tuna and thinly sliced Manchego cheese for a hearty, delightful Winter Green Salad.
Winter Green Salad with Tuna, Lentils & Manchego
- 1/4 cup Scarpone’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Sea Salt & cracked black pepper
- 1 head of escarole lettuce chopped, washed and spun dry in a salad spinner
- 1 bag arugula, washed and spun dry
- 1 head of radicchio, treviso or castelfranco, halved and sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, halved and sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, peeled, sliced thin
- 1 can Scarpone’s lentils, drained
- 1 can Rio Mare Tuna, drained
- 1 piece Manchego Cheese
In a large mixing bowl, add the Scarpone’s extra virgin olive oil and lemon. Whisk together adding a sprinkle of salt and cracked black pepper. Add escarole, arugula, 1/2 the head of radicchio, 1/2 the fennel and 1/2 the red onion adding more per your taste. Gently toss with your hands, a salad fork or tongs to dress the greens completely. Sprinkle on lentils and tuna. Using a vegetable peeler lightly shave some of the Manchego cheese on top of the salad. Serve immediately.